Building and Works Department CUVAS, Bahawalpur
Since, this directorate was an entirely new addition, thus neither any resources in terms of offices, equipment and qualified personals were available nor any guideline, rules of business existed. This would not be out of context to mention here that despite all these bottlenecks and problems expectation level of consumers were extremely high from this directorate. The University administration in general and the Vice-Chancellor in particular remained determined and extended all possible help to the Project Directorate in the given means. At the same time it was the Vice-Chancellor who despite limited resources desired that facilities for students be upgraded first and given top priority. Accordingly, the Project Directorate was given the following major targets.
- Development of construction rules/delegation of powers for their adoption in CUVAS, Bahawalpur.
- Addressing immediate repair worthy areas not inclusive in PC-1.
- Carrying out repair/renovation works included in PC-1.
- Selection/appointment of consultants for new buildings.
- Enlistment/Pre qualification of contractors.
- Construction of new blocks.
- Development of estimates for various proposals to cater future needs of CUVAS
The project directorate, took up these assignment and made all possible efforts to meet the given targets and so far achieved following progress.
- DEVELOPMENT OF CONSTRUCTION RULES.
In order to have comprehensive construction rules after having inputs from various similar organizations a Contract Agreement, Construction Rules, Delegation of Powers and procedures were drafted and placed in the meetings of the Campus Committee. The Campus Committee after detailed deliberations and incorporating some amendments recommended these documents for ratification of the Chancellor's Committee. The Chancellor Committee approved and ratified these documents for adoption.
- ADDRESSING IMMEDIATE REPAIR WORTHY AREAS
Certain repairs/renovation works were included in approved PC-1, yet, majority of areas could not catch attention at time of preparation of PC-1. The Vice-Chancellor made a clear point that in the University "let the students be first". Accordingly, despite bare minimal resources, it was, decided that facilities pertaining to students be up graded first. It was therefore, decided that the following works should be were carried out and completed in the shortest possible time.
- SELECTION/APPOINTMENT OF CONSULTANTS FOR NEW BUILDINGS.
As far as new construction is concerned, it was decided that consultants be engaged for preparation of tender documents/drawings and top supervision. After inviting proposals, evaluation was made relevant Consultants were selected and awarded the contract for three buildings.
- DEVELOPMENT OF ESTIMATES FOR NEW PROJECT TO CATER FUTURE NEEDS OF CUVAS, BAHAWALPUR.
For various major as well as minor works envisaged to cater future need of CUVAS, Bahawalpur and their cost estimation being a basic requirement is the job of this Directorate. Accordingly, so far more than fifty cost estimates have been prepared and submitted by this directorate including major and minor works.